Saturday, June 12, 2010

60 Years in the Making

Today the USA men's soccer team takes on England in it's debut match in the 2010 World Cup. The last time that USA came away victorious in a match like this the year was 1950, and Harry S. Truman was President of the United States. It's been a long time, and I'm excited to see who will come away with the win. On a side note, Team USA's jerseys are pretty rad...apparently they're a tribute to those 1950 Team USA jerseys that were worn the last time Team USA defeated England. For a visual comparison, on the top photo is of the 1950 jerseys, and the bottom is the 2010 jersey:




A victory for the USA would be amazing, and would put them one step closer to this little beauty:

I'm just excited to see what excitement the rest of this month brings. The World Cup definitely brings me back to those memories of where I was during the last World Cup 4 years ago. I remember sitting in a tiny one bedroom apartment watching Team USA take on Italy on a TV screen that couldn't have been more than 12" wide, and rushing up the inclined cobblestone streets of Siena to quickly grab some gelato from the Kopa Cabana before the game began. Then, a few days later, I remember running around the entire town searching for a bar or any other small restaurant where we could watch Italy defeat it's next opponent. It was an amazing feeling to be surrounded by the fans when goals were scored and cheers were heard by the countrymen of the future World Cup champions. I love World Cup time, and the opportunity that the world has to be captivated by this awesome sport.

I just hope that no headbutting happens this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment